LEED™ stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. It’s a green building certification program that recognizes top strategies and practices for commercial buildings. Created and administered by the U.S. Green Building Council, the LEED certification program is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of green buildings.
The program operates by awarding points for certain criteria, and there are two points related to pest management:
- IEQ Credit 3.6: Green Cleaning: Indoor Integrated Pest Management (1 point)
- SS Credit 3: Integrated Pest Management, Erosion Control and Landscape Management Plan (1 Point)
How to Achieve LEED Certification Pest Control Credits
To ensure that you receive the IEQ Credit 3.6: Green Cleaning: Indoor Integrated Pest Management credit, Braman Termite & Pest Elimination will design and implement an integrated pest management plan for your building including:
- Inspection, pest population monitoring, evaluation of the need for pest control and pest management measures.
- Sanitation, exclusion, mechanical control measures and, if non-chemical controls are ineffective, a plan for the least toxic pesticide application option.
- Ongoing evaluation of the program’s effectiveness. Accurate data collection and documentation demonstrates that the program has been followed. The documentation is available to you 24 hours a day on our customer portal.
- A communication strategy that includes a tenant notification system.
- A plan for emergency application of pesticides.
Among the numerous conditions that must be met to receive the point for SS Credit 3: Integrated Pest Management, Erosion Control and Landscape Management Plan, you must have an outdoor integrated pest management program in place. This credit is defined by managing outdoor pests such as plants, fungi, insects and animals.
We can help create and implement a plan to achieve either or both of these credits for any facilities, businesses, restaurants or hotels seeking LEED certification pest control.