An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure for Businesses
As a business owner or facility manager, you’re always planning ahead. From next year’s budget to mapping out your next product launch, having a strategy in place is vital to your business’ success. They say “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” and this couldn’t be more true when it comes to pest prevention. Given how costly eradication can be, implementing an integrated pest management (IPM) plan before any issues arise is a sound business decision.
Weighing the Odds
Facility managers, particularly those in the food service industry, understand the strict rules and regulations that must be followed to ensure the health and wellness of employees and customers. But any business, regardless of the industry, can benefit from the same mindset and tactics.
Tipping the Scales
Last year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cited 396 facilities for food safety incidents. These warnings came with hefty fines and temporary closures—both of which could have been avoided had they instituted an IPM plan. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled the following list of tips to include as part of your proactive, IPM plan:
- Store garbage in sealed containers, keep dumpsters away from entryways and empty containers regularly.
- Close off all potential entry points around doorways, pipes and electrical lines, along with crevices in the structure.
- Institute a “no-prop” door policy to prevent pests from entering the building during service and deliveries.
- Install lighting that is less attractive to insects.
- Position exterior lighting away from the structure rather than on it.
- Install gutters and drains to channel water away from the building.
- Hire a professional to help!
Our IPM plans entail prescheduled visits throughout the year and precise applications, if needed, and as needed. If your facility is subject to third-party audits, we can help you attain the highest possible score on the pest management portion and ensure that you won’t pay for an expensive program that goes beyond your needs. Contact us today to get started!