April is National Pest Management Month
This April, Braman Termite & Pest Elimination is celebrating National Pest Management Month by offering tips for pest prevention during spring cleanup. This public observance is recognized each year by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to acknowledge the industry’s commitment to the protection of public health, food and property from common pest threats.
Jerry Lazarus, owner of Braman Termite & Pest Elimination, encourages homeowners to take the proper precautions this spring to protect their homes from an unwanted infestation.
“Pests we regularly encounter can be a public health concern and compromise our quality of life,” said Lazarus. “For example, rodents and cockroaches contaminate food, spread disease, and worsen allergy and asthma symptoms. Backyard pests like ticks and mosquitoes spread diseases like Lyme disease, West Nile virus and Zika virus. This spring—prime time for these pests to emerge given the warmer weather— it’s important for homeowners to take steps to reduce the risks of infestation, and to contact a pest professional for any infestation concerns.”
To assist homeowners in pest-proofing their homes this spring, NPMA and Braman experts recommend the following:
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths, planters, containers and clogged gutters to help reduce mosquito populations.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as highways into the home.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time.