In the age of social media, one negative post or photo can lead to the downfall of a business. If pests are roaming your establishment, it’s only a matter of time before your customers, or even your employees, shine a light on the issue. In this month’s blog, we’ll look at the big problem they can have on your small business and tips on how to keep them out.
Few things are worse for a small business than when its lack of pest prevention is put on stage for the world to see. Just ask Crab Park Chowdery, a once popular, 4-star Vancouver eatery that was wrapped up in a viral video controversy toward the end of 2018. A customer posted a video to Instagram appearing to show a dead rat inside a bread bowl of soup and the clip quickly circulated on social media, receiving more than 2,000 comments. Debate ensued over whether or not the video was staged, but the damage was already done. Within a month, Crab Park’s patronage plummeted by 75 percent and it was forced to close. Similar events have occurred in businesses ranging from movie theaters to retail outlets, and without proactive pest prevention, your business could unfortunately be next.
As you can see, no matter how successful a business is, the presence of bugs or rodents has the potential to shutter its doors forever. Whether your establishment is large or small, owners must enforce a zero-tolerance policy for pests because a minor problem can quickly evolve into an infestation. In the case of small businesses, these issues can develop at an exponential rate due to the limited size of the space. To ease any potential headaches, we have provided some tips to reduce the possibility of a problem:
- Regularly clean high-traffic areas where crumbs and trash are likely to build up
- Ensure there’s proper drainage to divert water away from the building’s foundation
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of trash on a daily basis
- Install sodium vapor bulbs to discourage pests that are drawn to lights
- Seal any cracks and entry points into the building with caulk or steel wool
- Hire a pest control professional to audit the building’s exterior for any signs of activity
Don’t let your business become the star of the next viral video sweeping social media outlets. If you suspect a potential pest problem at your business, call us immediately to survey your situation and develop an eradication plan.