Did you know that there are more than 10 mosquito-borne diseases that can affect humans? While this number can be alarming, Braman Termite and Pest Elimination offers six helpful ways for western Massachusetts residents to protect themselves against mosquito bites this summer.
“From the Zika Virus and West Nile to simple annoyances of itchy bites, there are many reasons to be proactive about protecting you and your family against mosquitoes,” said Jerry Lazarus, third-generation owner of Braman Termite and Pest Elimination. The good news is that there are some simple ways to safeguard your family now that the weather is heating up.”
Use these six helpful tips to protect against mosquitoes:
1. Mosquitoes need standing water to breed, which is why one of the best things you can do is eliminate possible breeding sites on your property. Get rid of standing water in rain gutters, wading pools, birdbaths and planters.
2. Block access to homes by making sure windows and doors are screened. Make sure to patch or replace any damaged screens.
3. Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark clothing and can bite through tight-fitting clothing.
4. Use an insect repellent containing DEET, Picaridin or IR3535 while outdoors. Always use these products as directed.
5. Minimize outside activity between dusk and dawn – this is when mosquitoes are most active.
6. If you’re concerned about mosquito activity in your neighborhood, contact Braman Termite and Pest Elimination today.